Transitioning from 3 Naps to 2 Naps
As I mentioned last week, Will has been giving me signs that he is ready to move from 3 naps to 2 naps, so we decided to take the plunge. Most moms have a similar approach to this nap change, and this is what worked for us…
1) Test it out: try two naps and see how it goes. If your baby has a meltdown by the late afternoon, they probably aren’t ready.
2) Use the 3rd nap as a backup. If they can’t make it until bedtime, let them catnap in the car, stroller, or put them down even if it’s just to play in their crib.
3) Push the morning nap and afternoon nap back a half-an-hour or more.
4) Drop the last nap of the day, which unfortunately makes the witching hour even harder.
5) Distract your child. They are going to be tired and crabby, so the more you can get out of the house, the better. Going out to dinner at 4:30 has been my saving grace!
6) Feed them 3 meals a day + snacks and bottles. Ask your doctor about quantity of bottles or refer to the Charts and More Charts post.
7) Early bedtime. You can expect your child to be more tired while they adjust to the nap change. Push up their bedtime a half-an-hour or more (for your own sanity 😉 )
How did you make the transition from 3 naps to 2 naps? How did your little one adjust to his or her new nap schedule?
P.S. How funny is Will’s hair sprouting out from one side of his helmet?